Saturday, November 14, 2009

Museum of Art visit

I'm afraid to say I'm not a lover of art. I think it's beautiful, I appreciate the talent of others, and I recognize it's value, but I'm not the kind of person who can stand there and stare at a piece of art for hours...nor can I look at a very abstract piece of art and find meaning in it.

That being said, I'm glad I had the opportunity to go to the Museum of Art (MOA) and look at some of the exhibit with the guidance of Rita Wrights. It is obvious that she does have a passion and love for art and I was grateful for her patience in helping us to look deeper at the pieces of art displayed.

I really enjoyed looking at the artwork that referred to the Prodigal Son. I think it is a very powerful story and the two pieces of art were so different and yet so profound. There was only one piece that I couldn't stop staring at and that was the new picture of the Savior holding the cross. It is beautifully painted and very straightforward. At the same time there were so many different things hidden from first glance. I appreciated the opinions of fellow classmates as they shared their insights. It is incredibly powerful to stare at a painting of the Savior and reflect on all He has done for me. It was a very moving piece of artwork.

I encourage anyone who has the chance, to go to the MOA and particularly look at the exhibit "Intimations of Divinity."

No comments:

Post a Comment