Tuesday, February 3, 2009

There's a few different things that have been on my mind the past few days as I've studied the New Testament and materials for other classes...

The people in the New Testament, even the ones not mentioned by name, are becoming real to me, in a way they never have before. I'm spending more time thinking about their lives, emotions, experiences...how did they feel? what did they see? who were they? I can feel this depth to the Gospels that I never took the time to find before. I love learning about the culture and time period in which they lived and using that information to further my understanding.

I'm also taking a class called "The Living Prophets." What a blessing it is to study the calling and life of Living Prophets! I have a testimony of prophets, and I know President Thomas S. Monson is a living prophet. My class though...having a deeper understanding of the calling of prophet has strengthened my testimony of them, both in ancient times like those found in the New Testament, as well as those on earth today. I appreciate that I am able to learn more about the life of those called by God as special witnesses today, at the same time as I learn more about the apostles at the time of Christ, also called by God as special witnesses.

The other thing on my mind more directly relates to some things pointed out in class recently. I am grateful for the opportunity to more closely look at the women in the New Testament and the way in which the Savior interacts with them. I know that women play an important role and can be great examples of faith. When records of our day are written I hope that even if my name is not recorded, I can be known and remembered as a woman of faith.

I know that even in just a matter of weeks, the way I read the Gospels has changed. I've been reminded that each word carries meaning and it takes effort to determine what that meaning is. There's plenty on the surface, but the added depth, when you read a little more carefully, is incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment