Tuesday, February 24, 2009

How beautiful is the atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ! I know I cannot fully comprehend the magnitude of the atonement, but my appreciation for it grows every day. A couple days ago had a migraine, the worst I think I've ever had. I don't even remember the last time I was in that much pain. I knew that I just needed to sleep so that I could work past it, but it hurt so badly I didn't think I could fall asleep. And it didn't help that my pillow felt like concrete!

I asked a good friend if he would give me a blessing, a blessing meant for healing or comforting the sick. I hoped that this blessing would bring me comfort and help me to sleep. In the blessing he gave me, he reminded me of the atonement. He reminded me that the atonement is not only meant for the repentance of sin, but also for our comfort in times of trial and pain. He reminded me that Jesus Christ had felt this pain for me in the Garden of Gethsemane. This blessing did bring me comfort, though not immediate relief from the pain I was feeling.

As I lay down to try to sleep, with tears streaming down my cheeks, I pondered the atonement and the words of the blessing given to me. As I recognized how much I hurt, it took on a new depth and meaning to know that I was not alone. There is one who could perfectly comprehend what I was feeling because he had felt is before. And he felt my pain not because he had to, but because he loves me and wanted to be able to succor me in times of need. I am so grateful for Jesus Christ and for the knowledge I have of the atonement. I am also grateful for the opportunity to study the New Testament in class and learn more about the life of Jesus here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment