Thursday, July 30, 2009

Chuva e um Onibus (Rain and a Bus)

We've been back in Sao Paulo for a week now and we haven't gone a day (let alone a couple hours) without rain. In general, I like the rain. I love the smell and feel of the air in Georgia right before or after a good rain...it feels perfect, especially during the summer. That's one of the things I miss most when in Utah is Georgia rain. And thunderstorms! I love sitting inside and listening to a good storm. But, my feelings are a bit different right now. A lot of that probably has to do with having to walk everywhere we go, dirty, polluted rain, and the fact that I desperately need to do laundry. I've been wearing the same clothes for so long, it's disgusting, but without the convenience of a dryer, traveling and then coming home to rain makes it a bit difficult.

Yesterday I had an experience with the rain that I will probably never forget. I felt like I was in a movie scene. I woke up to sun coming through the blinds and I was so excited! The sun had finally come out and we could finally do laundry! However, less than an hour later when we left the house it looked pretty overcast and I was starting to get bummed. Little did we know what waited for us. Within 5 minutes of leaving, the sky opened and it started pouring, to the extent that I'm not sure my umbrella was really doing us that much good. We were valiantly trying our best to make it to class on time and somewhat dry, but honestly I just wanted to run home and jump back in bed.

We were almost to class when a bus came heading our way. Buses in Brazil fly down the streets...literally. If you stick your head out just a little too far when standing on the edge of the sidewalk you might get it taken off. Well before we knew it, a bus flew through a puddle and completely soaked us with water. It was such a shock Rebecca and I both screamed. We looked like we had jumped into a pool up to our waist. I don't think I've ever been so wet from rain, unless I was trying to get wet on purpose. We couldn't stop laughing the entire rest of the way to class because we were so dumbfounded as to what had just happened. Luckily I was in sandals, because Rebecca's shoes still haven't dried. It was hilarious to watch everyone's reaction as they walked in to the institute building and saw how soaked we were, though a few people who didn't have umbrella's ended up getting almost as wet as we did.

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy! I love the rain too! I love going to sleep listening to rain on my roof and I like watching lightening storms, but not when they are really close. Lightening can make me nervous. I hope you guys took pictures of being soaked!

    ReplyDelete