Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The temple

I recently had the opportunity to go through the Draper Temple during their open house. A temple open house is a period of time before it is dedicated when tours are given and everyone is invited to go walk through. After it is dedicated, only worthy members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with a current temple recommend are allowed inside. It is a priceless opportunity to see the magnificent rooms and feel the peace within the walls of the temple. When I went, it was a particularly special opportunity because my grandparents were with me. My grandma works in another temple, but my grandpa has never been inside.

The more I learn and understand about ancient Judaism and scriptural history, the more sacred and precious the temple seems. Temples are not a new thing, but it is certainly a blessing to have so many, so close by. It is obvious that temples are sacred. They are a special place where we can go to learn and feel peace and draw closer to God. Many people have dedicated their lives to working in temples, protecting them, and studying them. I feel a kinship with people of many different faiths and particularly those that lived in days gone by, for the common bond we feel towards temples of the Lord. I know I am not alone in loving the temple and looking forward to the day when I can go inside often to partake of the blessings received there. I hope I can strive each day to never take the temple for granted, especially while I live so close to so many.

No comments:

Post a Comment