Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Articles and Covenants of the Church of Christ (D&C 20)

I have enjoyed reading the Doctrine and Covenants since I was younger, I attended seminary in high school, and I have always loved church history stories. But, it really is true that the more you know, the more you know you don't know. For example, I never realized that so many sections of the Doctrine and Covenants had official names, such as Section 20 being the "Articles and Covenants." I had no idea that Section 20 was the most copied of any revelation in the history of the Church. I also did not know that Section 20 was read at every session of General Conference until it was printed in 1835. Even these three facts alone, point to the significance of this section.

We discussed in class that Section 20 is roughly organized into three categories: a historical overview of the church, doctrine/articles of faith, and a handbook of instruction related to church policy. With this knowledge it is easy to see why the Lord instructed so many missionaries to take Section 20 with them on their missions, along with the Bible and Book of Mormon. This section would arm a missionary with what information he needed to organize a branch or replicate the church anywhere.

What I have mentioned so far is all information that was discussed in my class, and they go far in illustrating the significance of this section, but now I want to add what this section means to me...or rather what would be missing in my life if not for information contained in this section. I would be missing a brief overview of the history of the church from 1820-1830. I would be missing an outline of the plan of Salvation, containing some of the most important truths to be found in the Gospel, for example the creation and the atonement of Christ. The priesthood holders in my ward would not have a description of their duties. I would be missing the principle of baptism, the importance of blessing children, and the sacramental prayers. Of course some of this information is recorded in other places as well, but that does not undermine the value of them being here in the Doctrine and Covenants.

The Doctrine and Covenants has a value and worth that I am only beginning to appreciate. I am so grateful for the opportunity to study this section and reflect on its significance. I know that the principle it espouses were given by God through revelation and that this information continues to be pertinent to the Church today. When you next have the opportunity, read through this section, which can be found at http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/20, and reflect on its personal significance to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment