Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Gathering

In class this past Thursday we discussed how D&C 37 includes the first call for the saints to gather. This discussion really made me ponder how gathering was a fundamental aspect of 19th century Mormonism and how it is still an aspect today, only in different ways. The Lord no longer calls us to gather together in one geographical location, but at the same time he calls us to gather for meetings and worship all throughout the world. I take great comfort in knowing that no matter where I am in the world I will always have a support network and safety net in the church. I will always have a ward family and irrespective of language or location, the church is the same everywhere.

This past summer I traveled to Brazil on a study abroad trip for 7 weeks. While in Brazil we traveled to many different areas, and every Sunday we went to church. I reflected on this a lot last week, as it's my most recent personal experience with finding the church in a place far from my home. I loved attending church in Brazil and the comfort I found there, but particularly interesting for me was my last Sunday in Brazil.

My last Sunday, I spent with an American family who were in Brazil for 18 months in relation with the father's work. The members of the family did not know Portuguese, and yet they attended a ward every Sunday that included both Portuguese and English speaking members. The individuals in this family were able to find a support system in a foreign country, simply by finding the local church meeting house. I'm so grateful to know that no matter where I live throughout my life, I will always be able to find a home at church. I'm grateful that the Lord still calls us to gather, but that he allows us to gather in our own individual locations, rather than asking all members of the church to live in one geographical location.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my heck! I just LOVE your new background! =-) What fantastic taste you have!

    ReplyDelete