Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Crandall Printing Museum

I really enjoyed my visit to the Crandall Printing Museum. I went 3 years ago when I took H240 from Dr. Holzapfel and I enjoyed it just as much this time around. I don't think I would have taken the time to go again if it hadn't been for the class requirement, but I'm very glad I did.

It's fascinating how the brethren at the museum are able to tie everything into the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. It's truly miraculous to be able to see the hand of God in things that we completely take for granted. I like how there are three different segments to the presentation, one to help you appreciate Gutenberg and the invention of the printing press, another to help you recognize the role of the printing press in the American Revolution, and lastly a room in which you learn about the printing and binding of the Book of Mormon. The brethren at the museum shared with us the designs for the museums expansion. I think it's an exciting idea that the museum will be able to hold many more visitors and that every missionary who goes through the Provo MTC will have the opportunity to visit.

I couldn't help but get goosebumps as they talked about the miraculous printing of the Book of Mormon, even though I had heard it before. I think I often focus on the First Vision and the coming forth of the brass plates and their translation, while spending very little time thinking about the actual printing. Printing a book now a days is such a non-event. We're constantly surrounded by books and it seems to be a very normal process for one to get printed. It's hard to imagine the vast undertaking that was in the mid-1800s. Not to mention, for a young adult living in a smaller settlement, with little funds. The fact that there was even a printer nearby with the knowledge and technology to complete the job was incredible. Then, that they completed the printing in so short of time becomes even more miraculous after seeing first-hand what went into the printing process at the Crandall Museum.

Something that hit me during this visit was how often I take for granted books in my life. I love to read. I always have. When I was younger my mom would have to take my book away from me before I went to bed, because otherwise I would stay up late reading...even in elementary school. I'm surrounded by books and it is so simple for me to go to a library or bookstore and pick from dozens of books on the shelf and take one home with me. I rarely, if ever, think about all of the steps that go into a book and all the hundreds of years in which the process has been refined and simplified. The printing press is something I don't think about on a regular basis, but I should...it should be my favorite invention.

I'm grateful for this museum visit that reminded me of the miraculous printing of many influential documents, including the Book of Mormon, and of the experience involved in making a book as we do today. It is easy to take for granted many things and I think we need reminders in our lives to stop back and remember. I'm grateful for the Lord and how the hand of God is evident in every aspect of life here on earth. I know it's impossible for me at this time to fully understand the consequence of any event or invention, just as I'm sure Gutenberg had no idea to what extent he had influenced the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment