Thursday, October 8, 2009

D&C 25

As we discussed Doctrine and Covenants 25 in class today, my mind was open to meanings and implications I had never thought of before. Most fundamental to the significance of this revelation is that it was given to a woman. I think the reason why I haven't thought too deeply about this simple fact is because it feels natural to me. I live in a day when women are treated fairly equally with men, at least in the United States. There are laws, customs, movements, etc. which all seek to represent what is in the best interest for women. Even within the church, women hold prominent and important positions, they are valued, respected, listened to. It is not unusual to hear women speaking in church, women serving missions, or women getting a higher education. I have also understood since I was young that Heavenly Father loves his daughters just as much as his sons. I have every right to personal revelation and a patriarchal blessing that men in the church do. Of course roles and responsibilities are different, but that doesn't mean one gender is necessarily more important than the other. This was not the case in the time of Emma Smith.

From verse 1, Emma is called "daughter" and based on original manuscripts, we know that her last name wasn't added until later for clarification. The Lord was on intimate, personal terms with Emma. He knew her just as he knew Joseph. Just as he knows each of us today. In this revelation the Lord establishes a principle of equality in the church. Every line of this revelation sends a subtle message concerning the role of women in the Church, and most importantly, in the eyes of the Lord. It also enforces the notion that Emma has a role to play. She has choices to make. She is not just a bystander.

I love verse 5 and the reminders it gives, to comfort and console our spouse. Here, the Lord so simply emphasizes the importance of the marriage relationship. In verse 7 Emma is told that she will expound scriptures and exhort the church. Once again, she plays an important role! Verse 8 certainly contains a radical idea for her time, when Emma is told that her time shall be given to writing and to learning much. And once again in verse 9 is the role of the marriage relationship. Just as Emma is told to comfort and console Joseph, Joseph is reminded to support Emma.

I love the hymns of the church, I always have. Some of my first memories of church are of singing time in Primary when I was younger. The hymns have taken on new meaning to me since I was given a hymnal in Portuguese and I've begun to sing in that language as well. There are certain hymns, such as "Lead Kindly Light" and "O, My Father" that ring so true to me, they do feel like scriptures and/or prayers. There's no question how the Lord values hymns after reading verses 11 and 12, and looking at the importance of hymns within the Church today.

Truly for many reasons I barely summarized, this was a significant revelation and still is today. Just like Emma, every woman has a place in the Kingdom. We are each actors, with our own choices to make. We each should "lift up our heart and rejoice" (verse 13) for the truths we know! I am so grateful for the blessing of the hymns. And I am so grateful for the blessing of knowing with a surety that I am a daughter of God and that I am of infinite worth to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment