Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Anticipating General Conference

This coming weekend is a very special one to me and other members of my faith. In April and October, General Conference, consisting of four general sessions, is broadcast from Salt Lake City, UT to areas all around the world. This is a particularly special time as we have the opportunity to hear from general leaders of our church, including President Thomas S. Monson and members of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles.

It is such a time of spiritual rejuvenation for me as I listen to their inspired talks. I enjoy taking notes as I listen to help me remember the things that stand out to me and to help me pay better attention. I also enjoy re-reading the talks given when they become available online. As I make the effort to listen to as much of General Conference as I can, and with the proper preparation, I receive comfort and guidance through the course of the four conference sessions.

Perhaps one of my favorite parts about conference is the opportunity to sustain the general leaders of the church in their callings. The Living Prophets class I'm currently taking has greatly strengthened my knowledge and testimony of the divine callings of prophet, seer, and revelator. I know that the men in these positions today, the ones who will be speaking to the church and the rest of the world this coming weekend, have the same calling and authority as the prophets in the Old and New Testaments. As much as I love the scriptures, I can't imagine how I would get through some of the experiences I have had without the guidance of living leaders. I know that Jesus Christ works through his servants presently on the earth and that I can look to them for guidance just as I look to the biblical servants of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment